The Archdiocesan Parish Development Committee is a newly formed group of parish leaders that has a goal of increasing the impact and footprint of our existing Parish Development efforts. This team brings together clergy and laity from numerous Archdiocesan parishes –- small and larger, growing and plateaued, newer and older, urban and rural -- to shape future efforts of the Parish Development Ministry.
Parish Development Committee
Joe Kormos, Chairperson, Christ the Savior/Holy Spirit Orthodox Church, Cincinnati OH
Rebecca Danchenko, Intercession of the Virgin Church, Carnegie PA
Fr. George Johnson, St. John the Baptist Church, Conemaugh PA
Chrisia Johnston, Holy Resurrection Church, Belle Vernon PA
Kira Meholick, St Nicholas Church, Dubois PA
Kristie Mertz, St Nicholas Church, McKees Rocks PA
Fr. Andrew Nelko, St. Nicholas Church, Weirton WV
Alexis Parshook, St. John the Baptist Church, New Kensington PA
The first action of the Parish Development Committee was to develop a two year “theme” designed to stimulate and reinforce growth attitudes and Christ-centered action within parishes. The 2019-2020 theme is, Building a Bright Parish Future: Growing in Faith, Sharing Our Faith, Welcoming Others. Our theme is broad enough for any parish to find an opportunity to expand its commitment to Living our Life in Christ.
We recognize that every parish has challenges, particularly in today’s secular culture. With the identification of the theme, the committee encourages all parishes to identify and undertake a new initiative to strengthen their parish with purposeful, intentional effort. We ask that each parish examine their parish life the areas of:
• Growing in Faith: education, service, worship, and community building
• Sharing our Faith: proclaiming Christ to the world with words and deeds, and effectively communicating our parish life and identity.
• Welcoming Others: showing hospitality to visitors and strangers.
For more information about the Parish Revitalization Initiative see these Frequently Asked Questions
Follow these steps to become involved in the new Parish Revitalization Initiative:
1. Organization and Decision Making
- Talk to your pastor, parish council members, or other leaders about the new initiative.
- Review our FAQ for basic information.
- Read this recent Light of Orthodoxy article.
- Use these discussion questions to further your discussion.
- Make a decision to participate in the new initiative.
- Identify one person to act as the contact for the Parish Development Committee.
2. Identify one or more Projects to complete using any or all of the following approaches:
- Complete the Parish Inventory Model as a parish or parishcouncil. Usethe results to identify a project.
- Refer to our list of Project ideas or create a new one that isn't listed.
- Make a list of important qualities and values your parish wants to develop, considering the needs of modern people. Which of these seem most important?
- Review existing parish ministries and whether they are still valuable and effective to the mission of the parish.
- Contact the Parish Development Committee for assistance in choosing projects.
3. Discuss how you will proceed with this project. (Who/What/When etc.) then sign up here by filling out this online form.
4. Present the initiative to your parish.
- Use our advertisement to insert in your bulletin, make copies to hand out, or send via email.
- Discuss the program with parishioners to get ideas, support, and answer questions.
5. Someone from the Parish Development Committee will contact you to explore next steps and provide assistance.